Short Term Disability Claims Specialist
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Job Location: United States : Florida : Tampa
Alternate Job Location: Not Applicable -- Not Applicable : Not
Applicable -- United States : Illinois : Aurora -- United States :
Illinois : Bloomington -- United States : Massachusetts :
Marlborough -- United States : New York : Oriskany
Role Value Propositions:
Claim owner and decision-maker. Responsible for administering
claims within contractual provisions and internal /external
guidelines. Establishes a relationship with claimants in order to
understand their perspective on their disability. Using that
perspective and other information, identifies the claimant's
functional capacity and leverages that capacity within the context
of the contract to support and encourages return to work as
Key . Responsibilities :
- o Manages overall block of assigned claims in accordance to
Operational Efficiency goals, Demonstrate Service Delivery and
Customer Satisfaction goals, including prioritizing actions,
appropriately utilizing resources timely, maintain data integrity
through accurate benefit decision and payment
- o Executes individual claim action plans, serves as point of
contact for the claimant and provides a high-level of service to
the claimant, including delivering on commitments, timely return of
phone calls, and clear communication, and makes claim decisions.
Proactively updates partners that may be working with the claimant
when key events are being considered or have occurred. (Closure,
- o Accountable approves key decisions made by team member(s)
within authority limit including Financial accuracy of coding
Claims System including accurate claim Benefit Amount/Salary and
appropriately investigates other income/offsets in accordance with
- Actively demonstrate key behaviors - Active and engaged
participant in regularly scheduled 1:ls and daily team huddles,
Promotes and participate in a work environment including
successfully working with others to achieve desired results;
contributes to team goals, projects; exchanges ideas, opinions,
develops positive working relationships.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required Essential
Business Experience and Technical Skills: Required:
- A comprehensive understanding of the disability contractual
provisions, especially the definition of disability.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to interview
claimants dynamically with the goal of setting claimant
expectations and obtaining information necessary to administer the
- Basic knowledge of medical conditions, treatments,
- Critical-thinking skills
- Ability to give and receive feedback to/from partners
- Strategic-thinking skills and the ability to apply judgment and
decision-making based on strategy
- Prioritization skills. Ability to balance quantity and
- High School Diploma Preferred:
- Associate Degree
- 2 plus years of claims management experience preferably in
- Proficient in Microsoft Word/Excel Kev. Competencies.
Qualifications and Skills, Preferred :
- Some college or degree preferred.
- Prior STD and/or Family Medical Leave Act claims knowledge
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Demonstrated critical thinking in activities requiring
analysis, investigation, and/or planning.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to multitask, comfortable working with multiple
priorities in a changing environment.
- Ability to prioritize and maintain quality Salary Grade
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the
world--s leading financial services companies, providing insurance,
annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its
individual and institutional customers navigate their changing
world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40
countries and holds leading market positions in the United States,
Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with
$642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31,
2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020,
we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the
fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading
sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to
Fortune magazine's 2021 list of the "World's Most Admired
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive
culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to
help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified
candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For
further information about how to request a reasonable
accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative
Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing
a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to
race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or
related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or
domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship
status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
Requisition #: 121612
Keywords: MetLife, Tampa , Short Term Disability Claims Specialist, Other , Gibsonton, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!